BAKERSFIELD, Calif. (KGET) — KGET is teaming up with Adventist Health and Edible Schoolyard Kern County every Wednesday on 17 News at Sunrise to bring you healthy recipes that will get your family eating around the table again.
- 1 large chayote squash, peeled, pitted, and diced (sub zucchini, yellow squash, or patty pan)
- 3 ears corn, kernels removed, or ½ pound frozen sweet corn kernels
- 3 sweet red or yellow peppers, seeded and diced
- ½ sweet onions, peeled and minced
- 4 teaspoons fresh cilantro, leaves only
- 4 teaspoons fresh mint, chopped
- 1 celery stalk, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 Cup water
- 1 teaspoon achiote paste (sub chili powder or paprika)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large sauté pan or pot, combine all ingredients together, including salt and pepper to taste. Cook over medium heat until there is about a ¼ cup of “gravy” at the bottom of the pan, about 15 to 20 minutes.
- Serve as a filling for tortillas or pair it with soup and rice to make a hearty meal.