UPDATE: Stephen Houk, motorhome chase suspect and wanted sex offender, captured in Barstow


This story was last updated at 11:20 a.m. Friday, May 4. Stephen Houk has been captured and arrested Thursday at a train yard in Barstow, California.

At a press conference in Los Angeles, officials briefed the media on the 46 hours before Houk’s arrest. Officials say Houk fled from the motorhome, hid under foliage in the orchard and ran for three hours. He avoided the highway, eventually making his way into Bakersfield. In town, he found shelter at a library, shaved his beard, and got food and rest at a homeless shelter. 

Watch the full statement below:

Stephen Houk, the man who led officials on an hours-long RV chase through Los Angeles and Kern counties, was captured and arrested Thursday in Barstow according to the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department. 

L.A. County Sheriff’s Department officials said Houk was found in a rail car in Barstow and arrested at 4:30 p.m. 

NBC News obtained an exclusive photo of Houk in handcuffs shortly after his capture. 

Sources told NBC News Houk was caught near the California-Nevada border. L.A. County Sheriff’s deputies and U.S. Marshals Service were involved in a short foot pursuit before he was captured.

At a press conference Wednesday, Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department officials said their investigation began as a domestic violence call out of Santa Clarita Tuesday morning.

Officials said they have followed up on numerous purported sightings of Houk, but none of those have panned out.

Law enforcement said Houk’s two children — a 3-year-old boy and 11-month-old girl –were found safe.

Houk, led authorities in a motor-home pursuit that wound through Los Angeles and Kern counties Tuesday.

Houk is said to be a registered sex offender out of Oregon and was on parole for a sex offense, the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department said. Officials said details of a 2002 sodomy conviction were “too egregious” to share and is wanted in Oregon for skipping out on parole.

The pursuit of the motor-home was first captured by television cameras in Los Angeles at around 3 p.m.

The motor-home continued to make its way towards Bakersfield as CHP units followed the motor-home on Highway 99.

At 4:45 p.m. Tuesday, the pursuit continued to make its way northbound, eventually exiting at Merced Avenue and headed back south on Highway 99.

The chase eventually made its way back into Bakersfield and through surface streets. The chase made its way through portions of Southwest Bakersfield.

The pursuit eventually ended near an orchard north of Bakersfield and east of Highway 99 near Merced Avenue.

An 11-month-old and a 3-year-old were located by law enforcement.They were reunited with their mother, LA County Sheriff’s Office tweeted. 

Copyright 2020 Nexstar Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Latest News

More Local News