The Kern County Homeless Collaborative is conducting its annual Point in Time count for Kern County, to count the homeless population in Kern County so advocates can better address the housing problem.
Organizers also plan to give away sleeping bags to homeless youth who participate in the survey.
If you are 24 years old or younger, you are asked to visit one of two places on Jan. 30 between 4 and 8 a.m.
- At the corner of H and Wall St, across the street from Padre Hotel
- At the corner of 21st and Eye St
So far, a little over 100 sleeping bags have been collected. If you would like to donate a new sleeping bag, drop them off at one of four locations, now through Jan. 18:
- United Way of Kern County, 5405 Stockdale Highway, Suite 200
- Bakersfield Police Officer Association, 2303 17th St.
- Bakersfield Pregnancy Center, 1801 18th St.
- Kern County Probation, 2005 Ridge Road
The information from the PIT Count is used to identify trends among the homeless and helps organizers understand how things like drug use or health issues play a factor.
The PIT Count is set to take place on Jan. 30, 2019. To participate, volunteers should log on to: www.EndKernHomeless.org to complete the short volunteer profile (select “Volunteer” under Give/Participate). The deadline to sign up is Jan. 10.