One year since Montecito mudslides

News

A vigil down south on Wednesday night marked the anniversary of the deadly Montecito mudslides.

Last year, 23 people were killed and more than 100 homes were destroyed, when heavy rain hit areas burned in the Thomas Fire.

Some of the damage done from the mudslides is still visible but residents say they’re looking ahead and taking care of each other, knowing it could happen again.

“We all sit here and look at the hillside and water what’s going to come down bc they told us only 15 percent of the debris came down off these hillsides and there’s 85% more to come down with the right rains,” said resident, Anne Scott. “And so we live with that but we are strong.”

Dozens came out to remember last night. After the tributes there was a candle light procession through town.

Copyright 2020 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Latest News

More Local News