With a big storm headed to Kern County, here’s how to report non-emergency situations

Local News
Bakersfield Rain Flooding

BAKERSFIELD, Calif. (KGET) — With rain expected to hit the county starting tonight being prepared and knowing who to call for non-emergencies is important before that non-emergency turns into an emergency.

A non-emergency can range from a traffic sign or light being down to a sewer back, storm drains overflowing and a tree down in the roadway.

If you live in the city limits of Bakersfield call these numbers or report online by clicking here:

  • Blocked Storm Drains Monday through Friday, 7 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. 661-326-3111
  • Downed Trees/Branches Monday through Friday, 6:30 a.m. to 3 p.m. 661-326-3866
  • Street Light/Traffic Signal Outage Monday through Friday, 7 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. 661-326-3781
  • After Hours Emergency, 661-327-7111

If you live in the Kern County or unincorporated parts of Bakersfield call Kern Public Works at 661-862-8891 or you can make a report online on its website by clicking here.

Edison customers can report power outages at 800-611-1911 and get outage information on Edison’s website.

Kern Public Works gives these examples as urgent non-emergencies requests:

  • Report Traffic Sign down or missing: (Stop Sign, One Way, Do Not Enter, No Right/Left Turn, Keep Right, Yield, “Hazard” signs)
  • Traffic and pedestrian signal outage & malfunction
  • Street lights out at an intersection
  • Debris in roadway
  • Tree blocking roadway or sidewalk
  • Manhole cover missing
  • Severe sidewalk, curb, and gutter damage
  • Street flooding or plugged catch basin
  • Hazardous waste spills
  • Sewer backup, overflow, odor, vermin
  • Water line break

For more information, you can go to the Bakersfield City Website or the Kern Public Works Website.

Copyright 2022 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Latest News

More Local News