The Kern County Sheriff’s Office issued an advisory ahead of what could be a snowy weekend.
The sheriff’s office advises all to enjoy the snow safely and legally with the following tips.
- Follow all the rules of the road and don’t pull off to the side just to catch a glimpse of snow.
- Not all snowy fields are open to the public — Many areas of open land around Frazier Park and Tehachapi are private land and playing there would be trespassing.
- For motorists, chain your tires where it’s required. You usually have a mile between the first notice and the first checkpoint.
- Make sure the tread on your tires is in good condition for the icy roadways.
- Warm clothes for adults and children are a must and so is safety gear if you’re going sledding.
- Remember, if it’s too cold for you, it’s too cold for your pet. Be sure to bring some blankets along to help them stay dry and warm.
- Pick up your trash — Anyone caught littering can face a hefty fine.