More pets go missing on the Fourth of July than any other day of the year, according to Bakersfield’s Animal Care Center.
The shelter is already full and is expecting around 300 dogs this week due to fireworks.
Julie Johnson with Bakersfield SPCA and Animal Care Center shared tips to help keep your pets safe this holiday:
- Make sure your dog is wearing a CURRENT ID tag, is microchipped or licensed!
- Keep your pets indoors during fireworks!
- Never leave your pets unattended, even in a secure yard!
- Play music or turn the TV on during fireworks!
- Consult with your Veterinarian prior to fireworks, as your pet may benefit from medication!
- Have current, clear photos of your pets.
- Know the shelter locations to contact and visit them often in case your pet ends up missing!