Family thanks community for donations after fire destroys home

News

Thanks to the generosity of the community, Judith Myers and her two grandkids have new clothes and school supplies for the first day of school.

On Aug 8, Myers’s apartment that she shared with her two grandkids, Kylee Campbell, 8, and Eithan Gonzales, 12, burned down, leaving them with next to nothing.

It happened just before 9:30 p.m. in the 200 block of Hughes Avenue in Oildale.

The Kern County Fire Department confirmed the fire started as a result of items being stored too close to the water heater.

The family’s dog, Peaches, and cat, Ebony, were killed in the fire.

Clothes, gift cards and school supplies were donated to the family by community members and various organizations. 

“I was really thankful they helped us,” Kylee said.

One community member even offered a new dog and cat.

“A lot of people kept donating and texting my grandma and I really am grateful and appreciative for then thing you guys have done,” Eithan said.

“Thank you so much, I really appreciate everything you guys have done for us,” Myers said.
     
There is a GoFundMe set up to help the family.

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Latest News

More Local News