A family of three was displaced after their apartment caught fire Wednesday night.
Around 9:30 p.m. Judith Myers and her grandkids, 12-year-old Eithan Gonzales and 8-year-old Kylee Campbell were sitting at home when they smelled smoke.
“I go to stand up and I see the smoke and then I see the fire over by the hot water heater,” Myers said. “Their clothes fell off the dryer onto the water heater and next thing I know it’s just in flames and it just spread through the whole house.”
“I didn’t feel like it was real,” Gonzales said. “It happened so quick, I didn’t have time to respond.”
The family lost most of their belongings in the fire, including their 10-year-old dog, a Chihuahua named Peaches, and their new cat Ebony.
“I liked Peaches and my cat,” Gonzales said. “I like Peaches a lot because she was like my dog and I like the cat a lot because she would sleep with me a lot.”
The Kern County Fire Department confirms the fire was started by items too close to the water heater.
“I never thought that this would happen to all three of us because I thought we were going to live a nice life,” Campbell said. “But until this started happening, I was just sad if one of us if one of us would have died in the fire.”
While the family lost everything, including the kids’ bikes, they desperately need clothing.
Anyone who wants to help can contact Judith Meyers through her Facebook page here.
Here are the sizes needed:
Girl: Age 8
Pants,Shorts,Skirts,Dresses: size 10/12 (kids)
Underwear: size 10 (kids)
Shoes: size 3
Boy: Age 12
Pants/Shorts: size 12 (kids)
Shirts: size Lg (kids)
Underwear: size Lg (kids)
Shoes: Size 5
Pants: Size 8
Shirts/Blouses: size medium
Shoes: Size 7