Cal State Bakersfield students approved a plan to more than triple the size of the campus’ University Union and recreational center.
The results are in and more than 60 percent of students who voted, voted in favor of the $37 million project, according to CSUB.
The project will expand the student union to better meet the needs of the school’s growing campus, according to the website. The new building plans includes multiple lounge spaces for hanging out in between classes or events and design labs for clubs and organizations to create digital marketing campaigns.
The plan also proposes changes for the student recreation center. Currently, CSUB students have access to CSUB Athletics’ Hillman Aquatic Facility for one hour per day. The addition of a recreational pool will be geared toward recreational activities, like intramurals and group classes.
CSUB says students at CSUB Antelope Valley also will benefit from a number of campus improvements and additional access to CSUB activities.
The current student union was originally built in May 1987 when the campus population was nearly 5,100. Since then, CSUB has grown to over 10,000 students, according to the website.
The school hopes to pay for the project through campus support, fundraising, and student fees.
CSUB anticipates that the Student Union expansion will need three years of fee collection before the construction process can begin.
Features of the projects are:
• A flexible and large event space in the form of a ballroom that will be able to accommodate a capacity of 1,450 in theatre/lecture format and 800 in banquet;
• 12 conference rooms with a capacity of up to 100 in a theatre/lecture format and 50 in a meeting format;
• A game room large enough to include gaming consoles, computer gaming and pool tables;
• The CSUB Food Pantry, which will be moved from its current location near the student union;
• A food prep area to include multiple microwaves;
• Multiple lounge space with soft seating for students to use between classrooms or events;
• A hallway lined with small study rooms/cubicles for studying, meeting preparation, and/or storage;
• Club work space with a media room to collaborate on projects, presentations and events;
• A loft feature lounge overlooking the first-floor lounge;
• Additional state-of-the-art restrooms.
SRC Aquatics Facility
• Student recreation pool with lap lanes;
• Concessions area;
• Pool deck with shaded seating;
• Outdoor event space;
• Operation space;
• With the facility, the SRC will be able to offer water-based Group X classes and intramurals.
CSUB Antelope Valley
• Upgrade classroom furniture, including tables and chairs;
• Upgrade technology (computer lab, classrooms, ITV classrooms, study rooms);
• Provide transportation to seven athletics games for 50 passengers or 10 percent of student population, whichever is greater;
• CSUB Athletics will hold 4 preseason athletic games in the Lancaster area annually;
• The 2018 graduating class will receive a 2-year non-transferable pass to attend CSUB athletic events for free;
• An increase to the campus’ programming budget in consultation with the Student Life Advancement Committee;
• A Fall and Spring Student Recreation Center Outdoor adventure trip each semester originating from the AV campus.
For more information on the proposed expansion including important dates and additional photos, visit the project’s website.