Since 2000, more than a thousand local people have been shot, beaten or strangled to death. KGET is now tracking these crimes, creating a database of local crime and punishment and offering resources for families of victims.Read More »
It’s become the new normal. On average, someone is killed nearly every four days in Kern County. It’s an issue often only reported in snapshots. In many cases the victims’ stories aren’t told with details going unreported. Our goal is to change that.Read More »
How is homicide defined? What is and isn’t included? And more.Read More »
- The coroner rules a death to be a homicide when the death is “at the hands of another.”
- The term “homicide” includes deaths from murder and justifiable self-defense.
- The term “homicide” does not include accidents or vehicle deaths.
There have been 23 confirmed homicides in
Kern County so far in 2020.
If you have information on a homicide case:
- Kern County Sheriff’s Office
- Bakersfield Police Department
- Delano Police Department
- Arvin Police Department
- Secret Witness Hotline
- Homicide Tracker Staff
This page is dedicated to Steve E. Swenson, Kern’s original homicide tracker.