BAKERSFIELD, Calif. (KGET) — Bakersfield clinical psychologist Dr. Corey Gonzales returns to 17 News at Sunrise to explain why kids are so worried about heading back to campus, and how parents and caregivers can help alleviate those fears.
Gonzalez said the average kid is behind by about 18 months due to the pandemic.
“It’s going to take time to get reconnected,” Gonzalez said. “As a kid or a teen, your peers regulate your mood, you identity. Very important.”
Tips for parents:
- Tell your kids you care about their safety
- Be enthusiastic, don’t project anxiety
- Set aside time to check in and discuss goals
- Schedule a place to study
- Be pro-active with social media