‘Rebuilding Paradise,’ ‘The Mandalorian’ top-notch productions

Rick's Reviews

BAKERSFIELD, Calif. (KGET) – Now that the election is behind us we can turn our attention to other important matters – such as what to watch on TV.

I have found a couple of very different programs for you this week.

I will start with Ron Howard’s most recent documentary, “Rebuilding Paradise,” scheduled to be broadcast commercial-free at 9 p.m. Nov. 8 on the National Geographic cable channel.

The film marks the second anniversary of the Camp Fire in Paradise, CA. On the morning of Nov. 8, 2018, a firestorm engulfed the picturesque city of Paradise. By the time the Camp Fire was extinguished, it had killed 85 people, displaced 50,000 residents and destroyed 95% of local structures. It was the deadliest U.S. fire in 100 years — and the worst ever in California’s history. 

Howard’s documentary is not so much about the fire as it takes a looks at the resilience members of the community showed. It is both painful and inspirational.

The other program I want to spotlight is one I mentioned last week. The second season of “The Mandalorian” has launched on Disney+. And, it is better than the first season.

The series is about a warrior in the “Star Wars” universe who has the task of taking The Child – who you probably no better as Baby Yoda – back to his people.

If you are a “Star Wars” fans, the second season is already loaded with connections to the movies and books. If you don’t know “Star Wars” from “Star Trek,” it is still a fun space adventure. And, you will love The Child.

New episodes post each week on the streaming service.

Copyright 2020 Nexstar Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.