A fire broke out on the second floor of an apartment complex in central Bakersfield early Tuesday morning. It started just before 5 a.m. in the 37 hundred block of Q Street near Memorial Hospital.
A 59-year-old woman was yelling for help from a second floor bedroom window when city firefighters arrived. The crew raised a ladder to the woman's bedroom and rescued her. She was taken to the hospital for smoke inhalation.
Firefighters were able to keep the fire from spreading to any other units. Officials say it was an electric stove used as a heating device that started the fire.
Damage is estimated at 40 thousand dollars and officials say while there was a smoke alarm in the apartment, it didn't have a battery.